Tuesday, June 2, 2015

FULL MOON - Strawberry Moon

Courtesy of Farmer's Almanac.com
Today's Full Moon is known as the Strawberry Moon. Although there are many opinons as to why, the name is said to have come from the Native Americans as this was the best time for picking the wild strawberries.

My acreage is dotted with wild strawberries and they will be devoured quickly by the light of their moon by the many critters who call our area of timber home.



Last fall I begn a project to incorporate 2 thirty-foot rows of strawberries into my garden. You can see my first 15' on the lower right of the pic. I have approx. 8 plants there. So I decided to continue the row the full length then run another row along side. As the plants send out runners, I'll have a place to move them to right away.

I started by using the mower to cut as close to the ground as I could go without tearing up the blades on the rocks. Then I mulched out with 3 layers of newspaper followed by a layer of cardboard.

With inspiration from the Strawbale Gardening book I first mentioned in THIS post, I brought in bales of straw and separated them into sheafs and lay them out 3-wide across the entire area.


I failed to account for the space between the rows not being wide enough for my riding mower and mowing between them requires the bagger so as not to blow grass seeds over into the rows. I'm hoping to get that cleared this week and mulched with cardboard and more straw or mulch so that mowing will no longer be a problem.

The Full Moon is also a great time to think about what we want to get rid of from our life. There are some things taht if we just send them off to the universe and forget about them, they will in time take care of themselves... or vanish completely.

After weeks of cloudy skies, rain we are to have a beautiful sky tonight to enjoy the moon in all its glory. I hope to have a new fire pit built. I like this one from my Pinterest board. While I don't have anything really to 'release', I will enjoy the peace that comes with just sitting by the fire and enjoying the moon above.

Many Blessings
~Rain

No comments: